Hike with a visit to a Shieling
Come along on this delightful hike to a shepherd´s shelter where our welcoming hosts describe life on the farm in the old days. In the past, farms in the village were very small, so it was important to utilize outlying areas for summer grazing. Every year, the cows were moved to a meadow near the shelter where they grazed and were milked morning and evening.
The grazing meadow was so far from the village that it was necessary to build houses for the milk maidens. The old farmhouses at Haukås were restored in the 1990s, and are reminders of a bygone era. Our hosts demonstrate how to use some of the farm equipment, and you get to try carrying milk pails and churning butter. You also get time to explore the site on your own, and to taste the local delicacies. After the visit we follow the road on the other side of the valley, and stop at the local grocery store.
- Disembarking Port: Urke
- Embarking port: Urke
- Direction: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 11:45 - 14:30
- Available From: 2 September – 1 November
- Duration: 2 hours 45 min
- Level: 3
- Meals During the Excursion: Taste of local specialties
- Clothes/Footwear: Hiking shoes, warm and windproof clothing
- Recommended equipment is backpack with water bottle, extra clothing, camera, sunglasses. The guide provides necessary safety equipment. Participants should be in good general health