5C Tromsø Scenery and Huskies
- Meet the huskies
- Learn about the world's longest dog sledge race, the Iditarod
- Guided nature walk
- Learn about flora and fauna of the area
Climb aboard a bus for the short drive to Kalvøya and a tour of the Tromsø Wilderness Centre, situated in a profoundly scenic setting with sweeping views of surrounding mountains and the sea. The centre started out as a home for dogs in 1988 and has since become a thriving hub of outdoor activities and nature learning. After arriving, we meet the centre´s more than 250 happy huskies and puppies, bred and trained for dog sledging.
The centre´s co-founder, Tove Sørensen, counts over 20 years experience with dog sledging and once participated in the world´s longest dog sledge race, the Iditarod in Alaska. Our tour provides an introduction to dog sledging and the Iditarod through photos and film footage. We then join our Wilderness Centre guide on a nature walk to explore plant and bird life around the centre, before meeting up in a traditional Sámi lavvo (teepee) for a hot drink and a slice of cake. Then we return to Tromsø and re-board the ship.
- Disembarking port: Tromsø
- Embarking port: Tromsø
- Southbound or Northbound: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 14:30 - 18:00
- Available period: 05 May - 04 November
- Transportation: Bus
- Meals on the trip: Coffee/tea and cake
- Clothes/Footwear: Comfortable shoes, warm and windproof clothing
- Note: There is no guide on the bus