ICEHOTEL, in the village of Jukkasjärvi, about 17 km from Kiruna, was the world’s first ice hotel. After its first opening in 1990, the hotel has been taking guests each year from late December to early April. From 2016, they will be opening their doors all year round with the new concept ICEHOTEL 365, thanks to a new specially designed building run on solar power. It is certainly a unique experience, sleeping on reindeer skins inside the exquisitely carved ice rooms. Sleeping bags are included to ensure you are warm and snug during the night.
ICEHOTEL offers four different types of cold rooms: Deluxe Rooms / Art Suites / Winter Suites / Ice rooms. Our packages include the standard Ice room.
ICEHOTEL also offers a number of ‘warm’ accommodation options ranging from; double and twin rooms, hotel chalets for 3-5 people - all spacious and comfortable with Scandinavian design.
Nordic Hotel Chalet 1, Photo: Johan Broberg
Good to know about staying at the ICEHOTEL:
- The ICEHOTEL provide thermal sleeping bags. We recommend wearing a high quality pure wool thermal underlayer and suggest bringing along an inner lining such as a travelling silk sheet.
- Toilets, showers and storage are located in the warm section of ICEHOTEL, staffed 24 h.
- Instead of doors, the Ice rooms have curtains that you draw for privacy. Only the Deluxe suites have attached warm facilities. The Art Suites have their own changing room in the communal area.
- Deluxe and Art suites are located in ICEHOTEL 365, available all year. Winter suites and Ice rooms are only available in winter, open December to April.
- Check in and out of cold rooms is done in the warm section of ICEHOTEL, separate from the main hotel reception.
- If staying cold the day before or after, there is 6-7 hours between checking out and getting access to your new room, we recommend you plan activities during this period. We will store and move your luggage on request.
- ICEHOTEL is open to the public between 10 am and 6 pm. This means guests sleeping cold get exclusive access to their rooms from 6 pm, and wake-up call is around 7:30 am.
- Photography of all the rooms is from previous years and for guidance only. Designs are released early but images of the rooms are only available once the winter rooms have opened.
- While you cannot book a specific suite, we can help you make a request.
- ICEHOTEL opens in phases, the first phase is completed by mid-November and thereafter more suites and rooms will be available in mid-December when ICEHOTEL is completed.
- Space on ICEHOTEL activities and transfers are limited and we advise you pre-book at least three weeks in advance.
- ICEHOTEL Restaurant and the Homestead have fixed dinner sittings, and we recommend you reserve your table in advance.
- Breakfast included
- Free entry to sauna included
- Guided tour of ICEHOTEL included
- Loan of snowsuit, boots, mittens and balaclava included
- 2 or 3 beds
- Communal changing area
- 27 square metres. Suites are 50 square metres.
- Non-smoking only
Please ask us for upgrade details.