The Commander Islands

East of the Kamchatka Pennisula in the Bering Sea.

The Commander Islands are situated east of the Kamchatkan Peninsula in the Bering Sea. They were uninhabited when discovered by and named after Commander Vitus Bering in 1741. However in 1825, Aleuts from the Aleutian Islands were relocated to the Commander Islands to expand the Russian fur trade and bolster Russian claims to sovereignty.

These first settlers populated both Medney and Bering Islands but today the entire population of about 800 lives in the small village of Nikol'skoye on Bering Island.