Our staff will respond to your query promptly and provide detailed information to your questions.
5 days - Perfect winter stay in search for the Northern Lights
Surrounded by the magical, unspoilt nature of Finnish Lapland, only 9 km away from Levi ski resort, sleep under the Northern Lights in well-appointed glass igloos, complete with private kitchenettes, showers, and toilets. Dinner is a Lappish affair and is served daily in the local restaurant.
Spend the days participating in adventurous activities such as husky sledding, reindeer safaris and snowmobiling before bedding down under the Arctic Sky.
Read further about staying at the Levi Glass Igloos here.
- Day 1
- Arrive into Kittilä and transfer to your Glass Igloo
- Day 2
- Husky Safari into the Finnish wilderness
- Day 3
- Snowmobiling tour and Ice Fishing
- Day 4
- Reindeer farm and reindeer sledding
- Day 5
- Transfer to the airport
- Start/End Place
- Kittilä, Finland, Finland tours
- Country Visited
- Finland tours
- 5 Days
- Easy independent holiday suitable for singles, couples & families
Local private transfers
- 4 nights in a superior glass igloo with a private kitchenette, shower and toilet
- 4 breakfast, 1 dinner and 2 soup lunches during the activities
- Return transfer between Kittilä airport and igloos
- Reindeer Safari and Reindeer Farm Visit
- Husky safari (subject to change due to snow conditions)
- Snowmobile safari and Ice Fishing
- 24-hour emergency service
- Taxes and service fees
Flights, meals other than specified, items of personal nature, beverages, additional activities such as Lainio Snow Village, horse riding, winter go carting, snowshoeing and ice laser tag.
Transfers into town are optional, paid locally so you have flexibility with your dinner plans. We have made dinners optional so you can choose where you wish to eat - à la carte at the hotel (essential to book during busy periods, request upstairs) or in Levi.
Day 1 - Arrive into Kittilä and transfer to your Glass Igloo
Arrive into the small airport of Kittilä and transfer to your accommodation, check in from 4pm.
Each glass igloo has a kitchenette, minibar, shower and toilet. The windows are insulated and electrically heated to keep them from frosting. The kitchenette is equipped with a breakfast set for two, electric stove, microwave and kettle, toaster and fridge. In addition, the igloos have a radio/CD player, a hair dryer and a socket for car engine heaters.
At the centre of the igloo is a motorised double bed that can be converted into twin beds.
This evening, dine at your accommodation restaurant, Restaurant Aurora Sky - open from 6pm. It is a set 3-course menu.
AccommodationLevi Igloos - superior igloo
Day 2 - Husky Safari into the Finnish wilderness
After breakfast, head off for an adventurous extended safari that allows you to enjoy spectacular snowy views of Finnish Lapland. Everyone will experience mushing (one is driving, one is sitting on a sledge). After the trip warm soup lunch and hot drinks will be served by the open fire. Programme is not suitable for families with small children. Includes: transfer, hot beverages, 15 km safari, professional guide. Duration: 3 hours
Afterwards, you can spend the afternoon in Levi where you can enjoy the local restaurants and cafes or join some optional activities such as downhill skiing, ice go karting, ice laser tag and horse-riding. Alternatively, have a wander through the small streets of Levi, shopping for souvenirs and enjoying this small township. Dine locally this evening before you get a taxi (not included) back to your accommodation.
Day 3 - Snowmobiling tour and Ice Fishing
Today, you will drive by snowmobiles to a snow white forest lake full of fish. Try to catch your meal, a rainbow-trout, by ice fishing! In case you are not lucky, the host of the lake has promised to cook delicious soup by the fire of his wooden hut. After the lunch the snowmobile safari continues round the fells to the summit of Levi and back to the center. Includes: Transfer, fish soup lunch and hot beverages, 60 km snowmobile safari, professional guide, safari outlet, Duration: 4-5 hours
Return to your glass igloo and dine at the restaurant this evening.
Day 4 - Reindeer farm and reindeer sledding
After breakfast, you will transfer to a traditional reindeer farm ”Sammun Tupa”. You will have between 5 to 15 minutes' reindeer sledge ride in a winter wonderland. The pace is dependent on the reindeer – we have both young ones who like to race and calmer lead reindeers. Then we will visit the old farm and its home museum. The guide will tell stories of the past and present life of reindeer herders. Coffee and local sweet pastry are served in a cosy old wooden cottage. Includes: Transfer, hot beverages, sweet pastry, 1 km safari, visit to old reindeer farm, professional guide Duration: 2 hours.
Afterwards, spend the afternoon in Levi where you can enjoy the local restaurants and cafes or join more optional activities. Downhill Skiing is also an afternoon option!
Day 5 - Transfer to the airport
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your flight.
Price per person, twin share. Please note this itinerary is available Wednesdays from 1st January 2021.
13 Dec 2021
6 Jan 2022
6 Jan 2022
31 Mar 2022
31 Mar 2022
Daily program may change closer to the date but all activities outlined will be included. This itinerary starts on a Wednesday. Please note departure in early December and April are on request due to snow conditions.
There are three different standard of igloos; new suite igloos, prime superior igloos and superior igloos.
Interactive Tour Map
Travel insurance is compulsory for all tours with 50 Degrees North. Please ensure that you have this organised as we will need to see proof of this upon issuing your tour documentation. Please contact us for a quote or visit http://www.suresave.net.au/
Practical information about Scandinavian Hotels
- Hotel rooms in Scandinavia are normally furnished with twin beds, which can be moved together to form a double bed or placed separately. Please note that single rooms are generally smaller than doubles, and are often equipped with a shower instead of a bath. Purpose-built triple or family rooms are likewise unusual in Scandinavian hotels. Whilst it is possible for 3 persons to share a room, this will normally be a double room with an extra bed, with correspondingly less space to move about in.
- It is also unusual to have a porter at hotels to carry your luggage.
- There is free wi-fi in many hotels in Scandinavia.
- Unexpectedly, all forms of Scandinavian accommodation rarely provide tea and coffee facilities in their rooms. If you are lucky, a kettle will be supplied but nothing else. Please ask at reception for some provisions when you arrive or just carry a small selection from home.
- Please also note that in Scandinavia - in particular, during winter - the included lunch will often be a hearty warm soup with bread.
- More remote hotels in Lapland will offer dinner at an additional cost. In some spots, there will be limited choices else where. Generally, you get a very nice home-cooked Scandinavian dinner. However, you may sometimes find only one or two choices only for your main course.
- In Scandinavia, it is normal for washing and laundry facilities to be in the basement. If you are staying in apartment type accommodation, check downstairs or ask for assistance.
Practical Information for travelling and packing for Scandinavian Winter
- Warm wind and water proof jacket and trousers large enough to fit thick woollen jumper/clothing underneath
- Rain trousers – waterproof and breathable material
- Warm windproof cap/hat
- Warm gloves or mittens. Mittens where all fingers except the thumb are together are often warmer than gloves.
- Windproof gloves or mittens, which you can pull over the warm gloves
- Warm scarf
- 2 pairs of long woollen underwear (Merino wool in a few different thicknesses is perfect)
- 1-2 warm woollen jumper(s), or one jumper and a warm fleece
- Woollen or fleece trousers
- 2-3 pairs of warm woollen socks
- Warm & sturdy footwear with good grip
- Clothes for indoors, i.e. a shirt, T-shirts and jeans or cotton trousers
- Back pack for day trips (approx. 30 litre)
- Light footwear/trainers (mainly for indoors)
- Sun screen & Lip salve (the sun reflects off the snow and the air is dry)
- Hand warmers
- Nordic Grip anti-slip soles for walking on ice
- Personal medication
- Water bottle - thermo, or include a cover to keep warm (or you can stick it into a warm sock)
- Travel documents (including insurance)
- Photo ID
- Note book and pencil
- Camera, memory cards and charger
- Chargers for other gadgets
- Extra batteries for your cameras as they are used fast in cold conditions.