Our staff will respond to your query promptly and provide detailed information to your questions.
- 5% deposit
13 Days - A summer voyage is an ideal way to discover the Arctic’s highlights in Iceland, Svalbard and Jan Mayen
A summertime voyage is an ideal way to discover the Arctic’s highlights in Iceland and in Svalbard, stopping off at the rarely-visited Jan Mayen along the way. Each island offers magical landscapes of mountains and fjords, which in turn act as havens for a variety of wildlife, such as seals, whales, walrus, seabirds, and, in Svalbard, the mighty polar bear.
- Explore the coasts of Iceland before voyaging up to Svalbard via isolated Jan Mayen
- Journey in summertime for green landscapes in bloom under the Midnight Sun
- See towering mountains, fjords, majestic waterfalls, and gigantic glaciers
- A chance to spot a range of wildlife, including whales, walrus, seals, and polar bears
- Day 1
- Arriving in Iceland
- Day 2
- Welcome to Sagaland
- Day 3
- West of the Westfjords - Patreksfjördur
- Day 2
- Step Across the Arctic Circle
- Day 3
- Akureyri, Capital of Northern Iceland
- Day 4
- A Relaxing Day at Sea
- Day 5
- Isolated Arctic Island with an active volcano
- Day 6
- Into the Barents Sea
- Days 7 - 10
- On the Lookout for Polar Bears in Svalbard
- Day 11
- Longyearbyen / Oslo - End of the Expedition
- Start/End Place
- Reykjavik, Iceland tours
- Country Visited
- Iceland tours
- 11 Days
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Full board including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water)
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Flight in economy class from Longyearbyen to Oslo after the expedition cruise
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
Day 1 - Arriving in Iceland
Your voyage of discovery starts in Reykjavik. The name of Iceland’s capital means 'Smokey Bay', so called because of the columns of steam that rise from its many hot springs. It is well worth booking a Pre-programme to explore the surrounding geysers, mountains, glaciers and geothermal baths before boarding MS Fram for your expedition.
Day 2 - Welcome to Sagaland
The friendly town of Stykkishólmur has beautiful and well-preserved old houses in the town centre and is surrounded by wonderful scenery. Enjoy exploring the town´s interesting museums or join optional excursions to see the iconic sites of Snæfellsnes Penninsula such as the Lóndrangar basalt cliffs or the black sandy beaches of Djúpalónssandur.
Day 3 - West of the Westfjords - Patreksfjördur
Patreksfjördur is a charming settlement on the west coast of Iceland with around 660 inhabitants. The picturesque fjord offers scenic hiking trails if the weather allows. Patreksfjördur is also close to the spectacular waterfall of Dynjandi and to Látrabjarg, a renowned site for birdwatching.
Day 2 - Step Across the Arctic Circle
The Arctic Circle currently runs through this green and grassy Icelandic island and you’ll have the chance to step across that geographic line. The North Atlantic Current brings warm water up here from the Gulf of Mexico, creating a mild climate on the island popular with nesting seabirds such as auks and Arctic terns.
Day 3 - Akureyri, Capital of Northern Iceland
Welcome to Iceland’s largest community outside of Reykjavík. Expect comfy cafés, restaurants, and chic art galleries. There are also various museums of interest, distinct churches, and the botanical gardens which will be in full bloom at the time of your visit. Akureyri is also close to natural treasures, such as lake Mývatn and Goðafoss waterfall.
Day 4 - A Relaxing Day at Sea
Enjoy a relaxing day at sea with onboard lectures while we set course towards Jan Mayen. Our Expedition Team will hold talks and workshops to share their knowledge and experience to enhance the next days of your journey.
Day 5 - Isolated Arctic Island with an active volcano
The Norwegian island of Jan Mayen has two main areas. The north is dominated by ice-capped Beerenberg, the northernmost active volcano on earth. The south is flatter and unglaciated, and where 30 people live at a weather station. The island is a breeding site for large numbers of seabirds such as fulmars, auks, and guillemots.
Visits to Jan Mayen are extremely rare, and Hurtigruten are one of the few to attempt landings on this Arctic island.
Day 6 - Into the Barents Sea
As we sail further north and the air cools, it’s possible we will be joined by an escort of fulmars flying along at port-hole level! Sea days are a chance to sort out your photos, relax and recharge for the adventures ahead.
Days 7 - 10 - On the Lookout for Polar Bears in Svalbard
Summertime in the Svalbard Archipelago is when polar bears trek along the coast’s drifting ice on the hunt for seals. With a bit of luck, we hope to spot one or more of these top predators in the national park.
Depending on the movement and thickness of the sea ice, we might visit Kongsfjord´s mighty glaciers and catch sight of icebergs calving into the sea. We may also call on Ny-Ålesund, a former mining town now transformed into an international science centre. Here, you’ll find 16 permanent research stations from 10 countries dedicated to the study of glaciology, wildlife, and climate change.
Day 11 - Longyearbyen / Oslo - End of the Expedition
Arrival at the town of Longyearbyen marks the end of a remarkable voyage. Transfer to the airport for your flight back to Oslo or explore Svalbard’s capital further with a Post-Programme. Nestled next to the Isfjord and surrounded by rugged mountains, Longyearbyen offers even more adventure here in the High Arctic.
Prices are from prices per person, based on twin share in an outside cabin.
6 Jun 2021
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change