Our staff will respond to your query promptly and provide detailed information to your questions.
- New Igloos
5 days - Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort stay in search for the Northern Lights
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is located high above the Arctic Circle in Northern Finland. Surrounded by stunning scenery you will stay in your private Log Cabin with its own sauna and fireplace, enjoy winter activities and have the chance to see the Northern Lights.
This is a rustic wilderness experience in the remote forests of northern Finland, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. During your stay you will go on a Husky Safari, visit a Reindeer Farm, go cross-country skiing and experience the magical winter evening on a snowmobile.
One of the highlights on this trip is a night under the Northern Lights in a Glass Igloo. Read more about what staying in a glass igloo is like here.
Our tours stay in the new West Village side of the resort. Our Nordic+ option stays in the Kelo Glass Igloo Log Cabins for the entire 4 nights.
See all our Northern Lights tours here.
- Day 1
- Arrive Kakslauttanen and a spectacular night in Glass Igloo
- Day 2
- Reindeer Safari
- Day 3
- Nordic skiing and then an evening Snowmobile Safari in search for the Northern Lights
- Day 4
- Husky Safari
- Day 5
- Depart to Ivalo airport for your flight onwards
- Start/End Place
- Ivalo, Finland tours
- Country Visited
- Finland tours
- 5 Days
- Easy independent holiday suitable for singles & couples
Local transfers, dog sleds, snowmobile safaris and transfer from local airport, Ivalo.
- Standard: 3 nights in a traditional log cabin with its own fireplace and sauna + 1 night in a Glass Igloo
- Superior: 4 nights in Kelo Glass Igloo Log Cabin
- 4 breakfasts and 4 dinners
- Return transfer between Ivalo airport and Kakslauttanen
- Winter clothing for the entire stay (thermal overall, boots, warm hat & gloves)
- Reindeer Safari (2 hrs total, approx. 40 minutes sledding)
- Husky safari (2 hrs)
- Nordic Ski lesson (with ski equipment for 24 hours)
- Aurora snowmobile safari in the evening (3 hrs)
- 24-hour emergency service
- Taxes and service fees
Flights, meals other than specified, items of personal nature, beverages, additional activities such as icefishing, horse riding, winter carting, overnight safaris and Santa's Resort Visit.
Day 1 - Arrive Kakslauttanen and a spectacular night in Glass Igloo
Fly to Ivalo airport, located about 250km north of the Arctic Circle. Upon arrival at Ivalo airport, transfer to Hotel Kakslauttanen. Check in to your Glass Igloo where you will be spending the first night of the tour.
Dinner at hotel then get ready for your night in under the stars - and hopefully the Northern Lights.
A Glass Igloo provides you the unforgettable opportunity to admire the Northern Lights and millions of stars in the crystal-clear sky in a comfortable room temperature. Built from a special thermal glass the temperature inside the Igloo always stays at a normal level. It also prevents the glass from not getting white frosted, hence keeping the view clear even when the temperature outside drops to under -30°C. Standard igloos are equipped with a toilet, but no shower. There is an upgrade option to a large igloo with a shower.
Optional Add Ons
Day 2 - Reindeer Safari
After breakfast, head out on a reindeer safari. We will visit a traditional Sami Village and enjoy a reindeer sleigh ride.
In the afternoon, check in to your private Log Cabin. Each of these traditional rustic wilderness cabins is equipped with a fireplace, shower/toilet, kitchenette and own sauna. The cabins are located far enough apart from each other so that each one has its own peaceful outdoor area for snow angel making and snow fun.
Dinner at hotel.
Day 3 - Nordic skiing and then an evening Snowmobile Safari in search for the Northern Lights
This morning, meet your instructor for a short lesson in Nordic Skiing. You will have the ski equipment for 24 hours, so you can practice these new skills throughout the day.
If you prefer something else, you can choose other optional activities such as horse riding or ice fishing safari and pay the difference.
Dinner at hotel, then get dressed warmly for the 'Search for the Northern Lights'.
After dinner you will venture out on snowmobiles in search of the Northern Lights. Come and experience an exotic Arctic evening by driving through snow-covered forests and over treeless fells. With a little luck, if the sky is clear, the moon, stars and even the Northern Lights may show you the way. Hot drinks will be served during the trip.
Day 4 - Husky Safari
After breakfast, get ready for today's husky safari - an unforgettable journey through breathtaking winter scenery.
On arrival to the husky farm we will provide you with a warm outer thermal suit, gloves and hat and then we will present your very own husky team. You will be given a lesson on how to drive the sledge and how to observe important hand signals given by your leader.
Each team consists of about six dogs, you, the driver, and your passenger, who is comfortably seated in the wooden sledge. The driver and the passenger can change places during the safari.
Dinner at the hotel. After dinner you can join one of the optional Northern Lights safaris such as Northern Lights Hunt by Snowcrawler, Horse Carriage - ask us for options if you are interested.
Day 5 - Depart to Ivalo airport for your flight onwards
Breakfast at hotel. Transfer to Ivalo airport.
All prices listed are per person. Standard price is based on 2 adults sharing a small glass igloo and small cabin. Superior price is based on 2 adults sharing a Kelo Glass Igloo Cabin. Please contact us for family quotes. New Years supplement may apply. Early indicative price for 2021.
31 Mar 2021
30 Apr 2021
30 Apr 2021
30 Apr 2021
21 Dec 2021
21 Dec 2021
21 Dec 2021
31 Mar 2022
31 Mar 2022
Additional activities on request: icefishing, horse riding, winter carting, overnight safaris and Santa's Resort Visit. If you do not wish to go Nordic Skiing, you can change this to another activity for an extra cost.
Interactive Tour Map
Travel insurance is compulsory for all tours with 50 Degrees North. Please ensure that you have this organised as we will need to see proof of this upon issuing your tour documentation. Please contact us for a quote or visit http://www.suresave.net.au/
Practical Information for travelling and packing for Scandinavian Winter
- Warm wind and water proof jacket and trousers large enough to fit thick woollen jumper/clothing underneath
- Rain trousers – waterproof and breathable material
- Warm windproof cap/hat
- Warm gloves or mittens. Mittens where all fingers except the thumb are together are often warmer than gloves.
- Windproof gloves or mittens, which you can pull over the warm gloves
- Warm scarf
- 2 pairs of long woollen underwear (Merino wool in a few different thicknesses is perfect)
- 1-2 warm woollen jumper(s), or one jumper and a warm fleece
- Woollen or fleece trousers
- 2-3 pairs of warm woollen socks
- Warm & sturdy footwear with good grip
- Clothes for indoors, i.e. a shirt, T-shirts and jeans or cotton trousers
- Back pack for day trips (approx. 30 litre)
- Light footwear/trainers (mainly for indoors)
- Sun screen & Lip salve (the sun reflects off the snow and the air is dry)
- Hand warmers
- Nordic Grip anti-slip soles for walking on ice
- Personal medication
- Water bottle - thermo, or include a cover to keep warm (or you can stick it into a warm sock)
- Travel documents (including insurance)
- Photo ID
- Note book and pencil
- Camera, memory cards and charger
- Chargers for other gadgets
- Extra batteries for your cameras as they are used fast in cold conditions.